Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

It's Inauguration Day, and I thought I'd hop on the bandwagon and blog about it. (Expect more of these, I think just updating you on the events of my life can get more boring and impersonal.)

I voted for Obama. It was my first opportunity to vote in a presidential election, and I did my homework beforehand instead of, as Colleen puts it, "drinking the Kool-Aid." I'm registered independent, and feel it's important to ignore party labels and look at candidates.

I hope that Obama does his best to repair this nation, because you don't have to look further than your own neighborhood to know that we need it. But I'm not a Bush-hater at all. I do not agree with some decisions that he has made, but I think it's unjust that many people will only remember him by his second term. He got our country the best he could through September 11th, and I think we've lost sight of that. Honestly, I'm slightly relieved for George Bush. He doesn't have to face all the scrutiny he has for the past 8 years, there's another potential scapegoat in his old seat.

It's going to take more than four years to get our economy back, get all our troops home from Iraq, and mediate peace talks in the Middle East -- both those who voted for Obama and did not are going to need to have patience. Obama has stated clearly that the change he is promising will not come overnight. I hope that those same people who were quick to condemn Bush for his decisions will not turn their backs on Obama as well, when we wake up tomorrow and the stock market isn't completely healed.

Barack Obama will be inaugurated in a few hours, and I hope that as a country made up of many beliefs, we can face the problems we have and try to fix them. I'm excited to see what lies ahead for our country, because more than Republicans or Democrats, we are Americans. We're fighters. We'll get out of this. But it's our duty now to stop fighting one another, and instead, face our problems.

I will now get off my pulpit and stop preaching.

Hope you have a wonderful week. Stay warm!

-- Christina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Christina,
I have never sent you a comment, so I thought I would do it now. Your comments about Obama and politics in general are very passionate, and thoughtful. I'm proud of the way you have spent time learning about the issues and have definite opinions about them. Not a lot of people your age even want to take the time to do that. I guess this college "thing" has agreed with you! Hope it is going well. I assume you are a Sophomore now? Or has the time gone more quickly than my feeble brain can handle!! Do you continue to get involved in theater there? Did you have a nice Christmas?

Well, send a note in between "shows" or pulpits!! Take care of yourself, Fondly, Judy