Monday, January 12, 2009

Working Girl, minus Melanie Griffith and shoulder pads

Happy 2009 everyone!

Hope your holidays were lovely. It's been a while since I've updated, which is mostly because I don't have much to update about. I welcomed 2009 in Lake Worth, Florida, about 45 minutes south of Fort Lauderdale. The whole family piled into the Pilot and drove down the day after Christmas for a week of poolside relaxation and sunny weather. We lucked out, there were no rainy days at all. I read lots (Ethics for a New Millienium and Revolutionary Road, both highly recommended) and even found time to go to Key Largo for a day. Disney was our stop on the ride home. I personally could never tire of Disney; I love all the rides, the shows, the people watching. My mom's a different story. After 5 visits she was ready to go into Disney Retirement, but was a good sport and came along to go on the rides with us. , Despite long lines and a 2 hour wait for Peter Pan's Flight, it was a lot of fun.

So now I'm home on winter break, and working at an Elder Law Office right around the corner from my house. I'm doing some filing, scanning, shredding; all the skills a good office assistant should have. I've mastered the art of staple removal and Post-It use in order to best scan documents onto the g: drive, which is an accomplisment, let me tell you. That being said, there is a piece of me that loves office work. Everything has a place, a file, a Post-It label. Though I could never sit at a desk as permanently for my career, there is much to be said for the organizational value this job holds.

Other than work, I've continuted to devour books, (more recently: I Have Chosen to Stay and Fight and A Simple Path) do lots of yoga, learn my lines, and catch up with friends. I'm going back January 24th, and it will be time, but I will definitely miss the free time on my hands. Once I get back, OADN will be gearing up for the ICCAs and I will be jumping into a more intense rehearsal schedule for Metamorphoses. If I have somehow missed you and you'd like to catch up, drop me a line! I'd love to hear from you.

Here's to a good start to 2009!

-- Christina

1 comment:

GJK said...

I was an office temp (a "Kelly Girl") many summers while I taught school. I can relate. There is something very soothing about the fact that everything has a place, every job has a routine, duties are not monumental and life-shattering but they make a real difference and are appreciated by the others in the office. Plus, I learned a lot about difference kinds of businesses.

Got a book to recommend to you -- recommended to me by Randy -- "The Secret Message of Jesus", by Brian McLaren. I'm starting through it the second time. Very thought-provoking.