Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The chaos begins!

Hi everyone!
First entry of sophomore year - I'm so excited for everything going on this year! I'm living in an amazing dorm building in a singles quad, which means I have my own single room, and I live with three other girls who do as well. We all share a bathroom. Sunday we did the inaugural Target run and bought a shower curtain, a bathmat, and other things we needed for the quad. My quadmates are wonderful, we all get along extremely well and usually end up hanging out in someone's room in the evenings, just talking or watching a movie. My room has a great view over what we call the "Aztec Stairs" (a series of long stairs going up a steep hill) where there are tons of daffodils planted every spring. My quad is also air-conditioned, so I'm in a much more comfortable environment than I was freshman year!

I've been back on campus for less than a week and already I've got a ton of work to do! Classes are good for the most part. I think my most challenging class by far will be my Intro to Theatre Design class. The class requires you to learn about set, light, and costume design, which means I'll be creating tons of scale models, renderings, light plots, and drafting for sets. My Movement for the Musical Stage class is wonderful already. I have a lot of friends in the class, and the instructor is great. She wants to put some combinations (or short dances) together from Cabaret ("Mein Herr") and Chicago ("All That Jazz") among others.

Bridal Terrorism, the first show I'm costume and props designing for, is coming along nicely. The dress I bought for the actress playing the bride fits perfectly without any alterationgs, and I've begun pulling things from the costume shop for the rest of the characters as well. I met with one of my professors to go over all of my sketches, and he said he was impressed with my progress and wants me to keep designing, after the show and in my next few years. While I'm a little overwhelmed now with all there is to do, I'm glad he thinks I have enough potential worth developing.

That's about it from campus! I hope you're all doing well whether in Voorhees (Hi Jenna!) or London (Hi Meg!) I'll talk to you soon and love you all.

-- Christina

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Christina,
Sounds like a great start to the year. We miss you around here and I hope that you are able to pop over during your school break. Love this blog - I'll be checking in to keep up with all that you are doing. Take care.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Christina,

Sounds like you are really getting settled in. Well Girlfriend, you sound like you've got it going on there. Great roomies and a nice room of your own. How are you making out with the three to a bathroom. I bet that's a trip.
Have been really busy with my Dr.
appointments. Getting old does that to you. Looks to me like I don't have to ask how you're doing, it looks like you are doing just fine in your soph. yr.
Talked to your mom today and she was not feeling too well. I think she picked up something. I doubt she will be going to work tomorrow. At least, I hope she doesn't.
Thinking about you and thought I'd pop you a line. I still have the leaf on my ankle. haha I'm such a sick grandma. I love you and miss you.
Granny XO