What a week!
It's been one of the most hectic weeks I can remember here at Drew. I had auditions for second semester shows Tuesday, which was also election day, on top of OADN three times this week, callbacks, Smoke Jumping rehearsals, costume parade today, wet tech and JAMNATION! tomorrow, and double runs on Sunday. So let's break it down one at a time!
Tuesday was auditions for three shows we're doing next semester. I used two monoloues, one serious (The Shape of Things by Neil LaBute) and Sally's coat hanger monologue from You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown. I had OADN rehearsal from 7:15 - 9:15, during which I was running to and from the main University Center lounge to check on election updates. After finishing OADN, I had rehearsal for the Cabaret with our musical director from 10:30 - 11:00. My audition for the shows was at 11:00, and just as I was about to go into the room, a squad of screaming people ran into the room and announced that Obama had won. We had a huge group hug and the entire room cheered for about ten minutes. After I auditioned (which was not my best, but more about that later) I walked back to my room to watch Barack's first acceptance speech. The entire campus was literally alive with happiness - complete strangers would run up and hug you, people were yelling "Yes we can!" as they left their buildings. Elena, Morgan and I watched the speech after seeing McCain's replayed on youtube. McCain was truly gracious in his speech, and I was astonished at his grace and support for President Elect Obama. When Obama took the stage in Chicago, I was awed at his incredible balance between bold hope and realistic sobriety. The two speeches truly made me proud to be an American. As a young person, there is nothing more exciting than that.
My audition must not have gone too terribly, as I was called back for the show Metamorphoses. (For non-theater people, this means that I made the first cut!) I read several for several roles and had a lot of fun working with the other actors called back, and I will know on Sunday after the other callbacks have taken place what the cast list is. I'll be sure to let you know!
Yesterday OADN practiced very intently on our new songs for tomorrow at JAMNATION! I'll be beatboxing (yes, beatboxing!) on the ABBA song, "Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie a Man After Midnight." There will be videos on youtube, so I'll post them as soon as I can. Today I am going to run a costume parade for Smoke Jumping, which opens next week. Tomorrow I have wet tech (seeing how the costumes react to the light) and then JAMNATION sound checks at 5:30. All in all, a really hectic weekend!
I hope things with everyone else are good! I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving and seeing everyone, I'm definitely needing a trip home soon :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Can't wait to hear about your callbacks! And you're going to have to fill me in on what "beatboxing" is. I'm an old woman, you know. Not up on this stuff. :)
Hey Christina! Your blog is very cool! You have a lot going on and it sounds like you are having a great time. I'm flying to San Diego tomorrow for a few days and I'll get in touch when I get back. I'll be in NJ over Thanksgiving weekend & I'd love to see you. So long for now from the beautiful state of Texas...
Love, Aunt Cheryl
I LOVE Sally's coathanger monologue. Thanks for posting the link. Hilarious stuff. I'm sure you knocked it out of the park.
Here's to the future and Metamorphoses.
Post a Comment